Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Epitaphs

To those of you who don't know me, and well, to those of you who do, I want to start out by introducing myself a little bit. I could give a long "life story", but I think it would be much more fun and effective to try and summarize myself with some short titles. Some "epitaphs", if you will:

The Wise

As humbly as can be said, I know a few things. More than anything, other people have told me that I am "wise beyond my years", which I thank them for. I don't pretend to be an expert on anything, and in fact, I'm usually pretty out of the loop on most things. But what I do understand is how we need to serve each other, and how to interact respectfully. I have had some great examples to look up to through the years.

I would also just add that sometimes I get the "walking dictionary" comment because of my vast (and probably pointless) knowledge, especially with the more fact-based things. I like to know how things work, and I love discovering the hidden details. That has led me to learn lots of random facts.

The Peaceable Friend

This is maybe an epitaph that has come in just the last few years. Yes, everyone has their breaking points when it comes to stress, anger, irritation, or competition. So I kind of feel like it's my job to keep other people from reaching those points. By nature, I'm a pretty tolerant guy, and so I can usually get along with people from any walk of life. I just think that everything is better when we all get along! I still have a sense of humor, but I have learned that it's better to resolve conflict rather than create it.

Player of Games

Come on, who doesn't like to play? Everyone has their preferences, and mine tend heavily toward group settings. I love playing dice and card games, especially Texas Hold 'em (no real money or betting, of course!). I also love pretty much any kind of board game, especially classic Risk. Of course, I've played my fair share of computer and video games, which are so much fun with friends and family involved. Sports are also fun, even though I'm not the best. I usually just step back and watch the pros do their thing.

Dreamer of Awesomeness

Obviously, the key word here is "dreamer", meaning that it's not reality. As long as I can remember, I have always had a huge imagination. In fact, I recall many times actually creating my own little worlds--all in my head, of course. I love thinking of how life would be if we all lived in a different land. Or the coolness of a world filled with mythical beasts. Or what it would be like if we all had different super-powers. You know, stuff like that. I dream it, and maybe someday, it will actually be that way.


I may not be dead yet, but maybe these epitaphs work for me while living. Hopefully I can continue to aspire to bigger and better and probably more meaningful things throughout the years ahead.

1 comment:

  1. I like your confidence towards the fact that you are a dreamer. Dreams are inspiring, motivating, and just pure fun! A dream that has been achieved is like getting an 'A' on that dreaded math exam you studied so hard for. I have a poster in my room that says "Dreams without action stay dreams." I feel like all have the ability to accomplish one or more of their dreams. I believe God gives us dreams and desires to accomplish our goals, we just have to have the tenacity to work for them!

    ReplyDelete