Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Online Interviewing

So, in my business communications class here at BYU, we had the opportunity to hold a mock video interview via Skype. It's something that is becoming increasingly common with the widespread technology--it makes a more personal interview possible from long distances. These interactions can be anything from preliminary to very final.

I really enjoyed the flexibility of being myself, even long distance. I am a people person, so it's important for me to be able to interact with another human being. All the nuances and body language are huge helps for me, and I feel more confident and genuine when I can rely on those tools.

One thing I realized as a big challenge is to keep looking at the camera! I really want to be able to look at myself, or at least the interviewer. But when I do, my eyes get taken off of direct eye contact, and I'm looking away from the person I'm supposed to be looking at! So that's something to work on for sure.

It was fun, but only practice. I'm sure that I'll experience the real deal soon enough.

1 comment:

  1. wow this is really great Cody. I also had the opportunity to carry out this mock interview in my MCOM class. I really enjoyed it and I was able to see the various challenges, but also all the opportunities, that technology presents. I think in today's day and age, more and more things are going to happen via technology, so it's great that you were able to carry out this great exercise. I hope that you are able to have more many positive experiences with technology. Have a good week, son.

    ReplyDelete